Thursday, May 1, 2008

"I am...I said"

100 Days ago (January 22, 2008) we had only briefly heard of Brooke White. She premiered on American Idol just one week before on the Season 7 premier episode.

Although she was among 29 other contestants that made it through to Hollywood that first night, Brooke White shows the characteristics of any true dreamer - unknown, but passionate, apprehensive, but determined, unsure, but no reason to be.

In fact, during the video tribute to Brooke after it was announced that she would be leaving American Idol last night, Brooke said something that made me want to write another entry on "The Next 100 Days". She said that it was no surprise to anyone that she suffered from a lack of confidence.

Confidence? Although there were times you could see it in her face, millions wondered, "Why?". Here is a girl who came out of absolute obscurity and made it to the forefront of America's musical stage, on America's most watched TV show. I have never spoken to Brooke and probably never will, but I can only image what must have been going through her mind just 100 days ago. Could she see herself shaking hands and making music with some of the most talented music icons of our time (Andrew Lloyd Weber, Niel Diamond, etc)? After her 45 seconds of fame in that first American Idol episode, did she believed that in just 100 days millions would know her name, buy her music, and cheer for her to entertain them.

Brooke's goal of winning American Idol came to an end last night, but it never ceases to amaze me what can be accomplished in just 100 days. Last night Brooke sang a Neil Diamond song with lyrics that I imagine in some form or another runs through the mind of every aspiring singer, writer, artist, athlete - or anyone who has a dream and yet just can't seem to see what truly can be. The song was "I am...I said". As I reflect upon the lyrics a few words seem to be an anthem to me and to the idea of what can happen in"the Next 100 Days":

"Did you ever read about a girl who dreamed of bein' a queen
And then became one.
Well except for the names and a few other changes
If you talk about me, the story's the same one"

Whether we suffer from a lack of confidence, a lack of belief, or just plain fear, we all want to be a king or a queen in some way or another, even if we feel like we are not much more than a frog. However, as I look around the world I become convinced more and more that anyone can do anything. 100 Days ago Brooke White may have not believe it if someone had said "You soon be a world famous recording artist", but now 100 days later she can say, with confidence, "I am..." and believe it is true.

What will you do in the next 100 days?

1 comment:

heymaughan said...

I am so proud of you. First you convert to the world of blogging and THEN you convert to American Idol. Do I not have the perfect husband??!!