Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's all about the "Environment", right?

You can't go too far on the Internet news sites or even surf too many channels without hearing news about the environment. It appears that ever since Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" documentary the media world has been full of convenient environmental hyperbole.

The issue of the planet's environment is more than important, it is essential to our survival, but there are another types of environments that ranks right up there with Global Warming and Green House gases, which include the environments of your home, your workplace, a classroom, a soccer pitch, a dance floor, and where ever you spend your time.

Depending on the environment a plant will either die, produce poorly, or thrive. The basic principles learned by our agrarian progenitors have taught us that you must take meticulous care how you prepare the soil before you plant, and how you mind the fields after the planting has taken place. Proper care and feeding can create an environment where relationships, children, and ideas can grow and thrive.

I found some wise advise on the subject of "Environment" in an article entitled, "Inspire Your Students - Super Teacher", published by The Jamaica Observer this morning. The article highlights Everton Nelson, a teacher at the Technology Innovation Centre at the University of Technology, and his efforts to create an "environment" where his students could thrive.

Below I have adapted the suggestions from Super Teacher, Everton Nelson, that can make the difference in any environment.

Relationships are the soil
- If you want an environment that can allow all other things to thrive you first have to remember that it is the relationship that matters most. Trust comes from positive consistent behavior, and trust and care make an environment where mistakes are taken in stride. If you don't fall once in a while you are not trying hard enough. So make sure you have or create relationships where falling can happen safely - this will happen if you remember relationships matter most.

Words Feed, Fertilize, or Fetter
- What you say always matters, whether its in "public", in "private", or "internal". You don't have to be a rosy optimist to the point you make yourself and other nauseous, but a healthy dose of positive spin can make the difference between sunshine and gloom. Others will feel it, and remember things don't grow on gloom.

Pay Attention - It does not matter what environment you are in, if you want to make it better, pay attention equally. In a home you need to give one-on-one time to a spouse, a toddler, and a teenager in equal amounts. Don't put off giving attention to the difficult people, situations, or tasks. If you have goals you need to give attention to each of them, and not just those that come easily.

Give Credit
- People thrive on hearing their name, receiving applause, and receiving credit. Attributing the ownership of ideas to the people who initiated them creates an environment where ideas can flow and people feel confident in the fact that recognition will come.

What can you do to change your environment in the next 100 days?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you are really on a roll! What a pleasant surprise to find another entry--and great material.

Savannah Sombrita Del Mar said...

As I sit here at my desk, I am waiting for the recycle truck to come by and pick up my glass, aluminum, and plastic. I am often lazy about sorting my recyclables, which makes it uncomfortable to to sit here and watch out the window as the recycle guy sorts through and recycles my recyclables appropriately.

One thing that I could do for the next 100+ days, starting today, is better sort my own recyclables. I am certain that the recycle guy will appreciate it. I will feel less guilt as I watch him not have to sift through my stuff, and I will help save gas,time, and energy.
-D.

sandeebeaches said...

This is quite the posting. I will pass on this info to my dear husband. He will really appreciate what you have to say....not that I don't, but he is in a time of life where this type of stuff really matters to him in the business world. Thanks.

100 Days of Love said...

For the past 93 days I have been making daily posts on a blog I created in Oct after my cousin's husband died of cancer. The blog is titled "100 Days of Love." I have striven to spread the word of love and increase my own love during the last 100 days. This post is very similar what I have been trying to do... change our emotional environment to one of love.

jimmymac said...

As usual your writing is inspiring, your vocabulary more than impressive, and your thoughts profound. And, of course, I hate you for it. Kidding. Great post.

Anonymous said...

i will not eat frosty's for 100 days.